Reflect on the unit topic. Type the following in your Reflective Journal/Blog.
1. Share what you had expected to learn about the topic before the class.
2. What you actually learned from the unit.
3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice.
4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.
When finished with your entry, place one sentence in this assignment stating your Reflective Journal/Blog entry has been made.
I expected to learn about different ways businesses evaluate their employees and how a company can deal with a problem with an employee. In class, I learned about reasons an employer might fire an employee and how they go about dealing with issues presented by an employee's performance. I never thought about the discipline and firing process before. I thought that an employer could just warn or fire employees at will, but that they had to have a reason. Interestingly, the employer doesn't even have to tell the employee WHY they are being fired, and that it's legal! It's also interesting that, based on the facility's policy, an employee can have many first verbal warnings but never be written up or have anything in their record that would affect future employment within the company. We also discussed annual reviews and what they may include and how they may be scored. It's interesting to consider the different scoring systems and how each manager grades their employees. I was a little bummed I got an eval percentage in the 80s from my manager, but I heard scores from other staff and it made me feel a little better. It's important to know how your employer evaluates your performance and to always be setting goals for improvement.
1. Share what you had expected to learn about the topic before the class.
2. What you actually learned from the unit.
3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice.
4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.
When finished with your entry, place one sentence in this assignment stating your Reflective Journal/Blog entry has been made.
I expected to learn about different ways businesses evaluate their employees and how a company can deal with a problem with an employee. In class, I learned about reasons an employer might fire an employee and how they go about dealing with issues presented by an employee's performance. I never thought about the discipline and firing process before. I thought that an employer could just warn or fire employees at will, but that they had to have a reason. Interestingly, the employer doesn't even have to tell the employee WHY they are being fired, and that it's legal! It's also interesting that, based on the facility's policy, an employee can have many first verbal warnings but never be written up or have anything in their record that would affect future employment within the company. We also discussed annual reviews and what they may include and how they may be scored. It's interesting to consider the different scoring systems and how each manager grades their employees. I was a little bummed I got an eval percentage in the 80s from my manager, but I heard scores from other staff and it made me feel a little better. It's important to know how your employer evaluates your performance and to always be setting goals for improvement.
No comments:
Post a Comment